Philadelphia — The Philadelphia Eagles and the Philadelphia Police Department have reached an agreement in which the city will pay $1.5 million to a man who was shot and killed at the team’s preseason home opener.
The agreement, reached Tuesday, is the latest development in a contentious dispute over police use of force and how the league treats the city, where police shootings of African Americans and Hispanics have risen sharply in recent years.
Philadelphia police spokesman Eric Kowalski said the settlement was reached with the man, whose name has not been released, after an internal review concluded that he acted in self-defense.
The deal comes after the city’s Police Accountability Commission issued a report in October that found the city was understaffed and lacked an appropriate system to track police shootings, and recommended reforms.
The commission recommended the city overhaul its police use-of-force policies and training and hire a civilian civilian police chief to oversee the force.
The city agreed to pay $3.5 to the man’s family for the funeral and burial.
Philadelphia Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said the city had long been committed to improving police accountability, but the agreement with the family of Philando Castile was a major step.
“I know the family is disappointed, and we all are, that this family was unable to come to a satisfactory resolution,” Batts told reporters.
“This settlement will ensure that the full truth will be known about the events that occurred in this case.
But the city is committed to working diligently to address this issue.”
The settlement does not affect Castile’s legal issues, and it does not address the civil rights violations Castile faced in his police pursuit of Officer Jeronimo Yanez, who fatally shot Castile after Castile refused to drop his hands.
Police had been investigating Castile for two months after his fatal encounter with Yanegby, who was patrolling the city streets.
The officers, who have not been identified, had been flagged for excessive force by the department in the months leading up to the shooting.
Castile’s family had asked for a federal civil rights investigation of the police department, but Batts rejected their request in a statement to the media.
“We are disappointed that the City of Philadelphia has agreed to settle the civil lawsuit against Philadelphia police,” the statement said.
“We understand that the city has a long and complicated history with this issue, and look forward to a full and fair investigation.”
The Castile family was not immediately available for comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.